masters, slaves, and when I make changes

Justin Pryzby justinpryzby at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 28 04:35:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:19:55PM -0700, Scott Haneda wrote:
> Hello, I hope this should be fairly simple, most of this is just me
> looking to understand how a certain process works.
>
> I have a primary NS where I add in new domains, delete old ones, and
> of course, update existing ones.  My colocation provider has several
> NS's, but I only use one as a secondary, and only list one as a
> secondary in my NS records.
Are you trying to avoid including too much "colo-specific" data in
your own configuration?

> So their ns0.colo.com pulls the zone data from my ns.me.com, however,
> the authoritative servers are ns.me.com and ns1.colo.com.
I think they're all "authoritative": they have local copies of zone
data.  ns.me.com is the "master".

> What determines to them, when the ns1.colo.com, through ns3.colo.com
> will pick up on the new data in ns0.colo.com?
Notifies are sent (by default) to the nameservers of a zone, when that
zone's serial number is changed, after (eg.) an rndc reload.

If you really want to avoid listing the other nameservers in your
configuration, then add them in an "also-notify { ...; ...; };"
statement.

> I tend to think it is a configuration issue on their end,
Perhaps; they might add also-notify themselves.

> idea how, if I wanted to, I would change the speed in which I pick up
> seem to find, and time intervals that can be set when notify commands
FYI, the SOA record defines a handful of timer values, with "Refresh"
being the interval between manual checks by a slave for updated zone
data; with notify triggers, that can be very long, which is consistent
with what you've described.

Cheers,
Justin