masters, slaves, and when I make changes

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Oct 28 22:16:03 UTC 2008

On Oct 27, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:19:55PM -0700, Scott Haneda wrote:
>> Hello, I hope this should be fairly simple, most of this is just me
>> looking to understand how a certain process works.
>>
>> I have a primary NS where I add in new domains, delete old ones, and
>> of course, update existing ones.  My colocation provider has several
>> NS's, but I only use one as a secondary, and only list one as a
>> secondary in my NS records.
> Are you trying to avoid including too much "colo-specific" data in
> your own configuration?
Really only trying to do what the colo suggests, which is to list only
one.  Add to that, every time I end up adding more, from others, they
go out of bussiness, or otherwise have issues, and I have to contact
100's of customers and have them login to their registrar and update
stuff.

This has happened so many times, I feel I can not ask it of my users
again, so I am sticking with the most reliable of the places I have
been, which is my colo, which has colo'd me for the life of my DNS
server, and seems the have the best chance of being around a long time.

>> So their ns0.colo.com pulls the zone data from my ns.me.com, however,
>> the authoritative servers are ns.me.com and ns1.colo.com.
> I think they're all "authoritative": they have local copies of zone
> data.  ns.me.com is the "master".
Ok, thanks, that was a misunderstanding of the terminology on my part,
thank you.

>> What determines to them, when the ns1.colo.com, through ns3.colo.com
>> will pick up on the new data in ns0.colo.com?
> Notifies are sent (by default) to the nameservers of a zone, when that
> zone's serial number is changed, after (eg.) an rndc reload.
>
> If you really want to avoid listing the other nameservers in your
> configuration, then add them in an "also-notify { ...; ...; };"
> statement.
Cool, thanks, and I assume I need not ask/tell the colo place to
change anything, as a notify is a pretty benign thing to send?  Or
should I mention it to them so they can approve my IP address to be
allowed to send them these commands?

>> I tend to think it is a configuration issue on their end,
> Perhaps; they might add also-notify themselves.
I would hope so, they just seem to take a little too long to do so.

>> idea how, if I wanted to, I would change the speed in which I pick up
>> seem to find, and time intervals that can be set when notify commands
> FYI, the SOA record defines a handful of timer values, with "Refresh"
> being the interval between manual checks by a slave for updated zone
> data; with notify triggers, that can be very long, which is consistent
> with what you've described.
I generally have mine set to 8H, but the notify should tell the slave
to do it now, and not wait the 8H is that correct?  At least, once I
start sending notifies to the other slaves?

Thanks
--
Scott