About error/warning found on the server

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 03:10:00 UTC 2008

--- Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <gedobb$1aei$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Stephen Liu
> <satimis at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > I have checked the DNS server on;
> >
> > http://www.intodns.com
> >

> > and found following warning/error ;
> >
> > (remark: postfix installed but NOT configured yet)
>
> It would help if you told us what domain you're checking.

Thanks Barry.  domain checked = satimis.com

> > NS
> > 2)
> > (i)	-	Glue for NS records
> > INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS
> > records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A
> > record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS
> records.
> > The nameservers without glue are:
> > 208.109.255.22
> > 216.69.185.22
> > You can fix this for example by adding A records to your
> nameservers
> > for the zones listed above.
> >

> > On which file?  Thanks.
>
> Unless you host the domaincontrol.com domain you don't need to do
> anything.

Noted with thanks.

> > SOA
> > (i)	-	SOA record
> > The SOA record is:
> > Primary nameserver: ns43.domaincontrol.com
> > Hostmaster E-mail address: dns.jomax.net
> > Serial #: 2007111300
> > Refresh: 28800
> > Retry: 7200
> > Expire: 604800   1 weeks
> > Default TTL: 86400
> >

> > How to renew it?
>
> Renew what?  This is an SOA record, nothing to do with registration.

Noted and thanks.

> > MX
> > 1)
> > MX CNAME Check
> > WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX records:
> > smtp.secureserver.net
> > The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok
> per
> > the RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!
> >

> > How to get this problem fixed?  On Registrar's website?  OR on the
> > server, which file?
>
> In the zone file on the nameserver.  Change any MX records that point
> smtp.secureserver.net to point to smtp.where.secureserver.net.

I suppose making change on Registrar's website.  What shall I replace
"where"?  OR just retain it exactly as smtp.where.secureserver.net

TIA

> > 2)
> > MX A request returns CNAME
> > WARNING: MX records points to a CNAME. CNAMEs are not allowed in MX
> > records, according to RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and
> RFC2181
> > 10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:
> > mailstore1.secureserver.net points to
> ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
> > smtp.secureserver.net points to ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
> > This can cause problems
> >

> > Do I need take any action on it?  If YES then how?  TIA
>
> I'm not sure why it's complaining about mailstore1.secureserver.net.
>
> It's an A record, not a CNAME record.

Noted.

> > 3)
> > Reverse MX A records (PTR)
> > ERROR: No reverse DNS (PTR) entries. The problem MX records are:
> > 178.213.232.220.in-addr.arpa -> no reverse (PTR) detected
> > You should contact your ISP and ask him to add a PTR record for
> your
> > ips
> >

> > What is PTR record for ips?  Before asking IPS to take action
> anything
> > can I do on the server.  TIA
>
> PTR records are used to translate IPs back to names.  This is
> commonly
> called "reverse DNS" (because translating names to addresses is the
> more
> normal, "forward" direction).
>
> You don't really need reverse DNS for your MX records, but you do
> need
> it for your outgoing mail server.  The above error message assumes
> you
> use the same machine for both incoming and outgoing mail.

Yes, on the same server.

> There's nothing you can do on your server.  You need your ISP to add
> the
> PTR record, or delegate the reverse DNS to your nameservers,

Please explain in more detail.  What reverse DNS I shall use?  I don't
use ISP DNS servers with /etc/resolv.conf removed already.  What did
you meant "to your nameservers"?  TIA

B.R.
Stephen L