About error/warning found on the server

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 31 19:47:42 UTC 2008

In article <gedt8g$1f4k$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> --- Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > In article <gedobb$1aei$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Stephen Liu
> > <satimis at yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >

> > > I have checked the DNS server on;
> > >
> > > http://www.intodns.com
> > >

> > > and found following warning/error ;
> > >
> > > (remark: postfix installed but NOT configured yet)
> >
> > It would help if you told us what domain you're checking.
>

> Thanks Barry.  domain checked = satimis.com
>

> > > NS
> > > 2)
> > > (i)	-	Glue for NS records
> > > INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS
> > > records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A
> > > record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS
> > records.
> > > The nameservers without glue are:
> > > 208.109.255.22
> > > 216.69.185.22
> > > You can fix this for example by adding A records to your
> > nameservers
> > > for the zones listed above.
> > >

> > > On which file?  Thanks.
> >
> > Unless you host the domaincontrol.com domain you don't need to do
> > anything.
>

> Noted with thanks.

There's actually nothing wrong in this case.  The domaincontrol.com
servers that host your domain are not the same servers as the ones that
host domaincontrol.com itself, so they don't know the IPs of the
nameservers.

> > > MX
> > > 1)
> > > MX CNAME Check
> > > WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX records:
> > > smtp.secureserver.net
> > > The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok
> > per
> > > the RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!
> > >

> > > How to get this problem fixed?  On Registrar's website?  OR on the
> > > server, which file?
> >
> > In the zone file on the nameserver.  Change any MX records that point
> > smtp.secureserver.net to point to smtp.where.secureserver.net.
>

> I suppose making change on Registrar's website.  What shall I replace
> "where"?  OR just retain it exactly as smtp.where.secureserver.net

You need to make the change on the web site of the provider that hosts
your DNS.  Registrars are used to register domains, they don't
necesarily operate the DNS (although some may do both, and perhaps
that's the case for you).  Basically, go to whatever site you normally
use to make changes to the contents of your domain.

"smtp.where.secureserver.net" is the actual name you need to put in your
MX record.

> > There's nothing you can do on your server.  You need your ISP to add
> > the
> > PTR record, or delegate the reverse DNS to your nameservers,
>

> Please explain in more detail.  What reverse DNS I shall use?  I don't
> use ISP DNS servers with /etc/resolv.conf removed already.  What did
> you meant "to your nameservers"?  TIA

This has nothing to do with resolv.conf, that's only used when you do
lookups.  The problem is that no one out on the Internet can translate
your mailserver's IP back to a name.  Many SMTP servers will refuse to
accept mail from a server like this, because it's more likely to be a
spammer than a server operated by someone who knows what they're doing
(and based on the kind of questions you're asking, you don't really know
what you're doing).

The simplest thing would be for your ISP to add the record:

178.213.232.220.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR xen02.satimis.com.

to their DNS.  If they won't do this, you need to get them to delegate a
reverse domain to your DNS provider's nameservers, and then they would
add the PTR record there.  It will look a little different, because of
the trick necessary for delegating a block smaller than /24; the ISP
should be able to provide the precise syntax that they use.

I expect you're still very confused, and I don't think I can solve that.
You need to get the book "DNS & BIND", which explains all these concepts
in detail.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA