how to configure bind in LAN

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 1 01:42:31 UTC 2008

In article <g9dski$q7m$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Tomokazu Isobe <isobetti at isokiti.tv> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now I'm seting up a name server in local area network.
>
> I want to make this LAN name server resolve all the hostnames in LAN,
> and forward to another name server in DMZ the queries for zones which
> LAN name server doesn't has as master.
>
> BTW, I have 1 domain [isokiti.tv].
> I want to use this domain in both LAN and WAN.
>
> ====isokiti.tv zone on DMZ name server(for WAN)=====
> ..skip...
> $ORIGIN isokiti.tv
> dns	IN	A	[global ip address]
> www	IN	A	[global ip address]
> mx	IN	A	[global ip address]
> ..skip...
>
> ====isokiti.tv zone on LAN name server(for LAN)=====
> ..skip...
> $ORIGIN isokiti.tv
> win	IN	A	192.168.0.10
> mac	IN	A	192.168.0.11
> sun	IN	A	192.168.0.12
> localdns	IN	A	192.168.0.53
> ..skip...
>
> Each DNS has isokiti.tv zone, but the contents in each zone are different.
>
> I tried several methods(view, forwarder, etc.), but cannot do what I
> want to do.
>

> When I dig sun.isokiti.tv from winPC in LAN to LAN dns, then I can get a
> correct response from LAN dns.
>
> But when I dig mx.isokiti.tv from winPC in LAN to LAN dns, then I cannot
> get a correct response from LAN dns.
> (LAN dns doesn't forward this query to DMZ dns but responses NXDOMAIN)

Forwarding is only done for zones the server isn't authoritative for.
Since the LAN server is authoritative for isokiti.tv, it never forwards
anything in this zone.  You even said this up above, when you described
what you wanted to do.

You'll need to copy all the records from the DMZ server to the LAN
server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA