Bind 9.5.0-P2, DNSSEC and /dev/random

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Sep 1 02:25:46 UTC 2008

> > It depends on what you are trying to do...
> >
> > SSL certificates are not used in DNSSEC, so if you are talking about "to
> > deploy DNSSEC", then the answer is NO.
> >
> > If you are trying to secure your http, pop, imap, etc. sessions, and a
> > self-signed certificate is not enough then yes, you need to buy a
> > "certificate"
>
> I'm talking about DNS SEC (signed zones)... so in other words I can't sign a
> zone with a CA issued certificate.

	The point I was trying to make is that 1 month key rollovers
	far exceed best pactice for 1024 bit key sizes.  Where best
	practice is looking at military requirements.  If you look
	in your brower you will probably see 1024 bit certificates
	with lifetimes of 20 years which is commercial requirements.

	Rolling a 1024 bit key every 5-10 years should be fine but
	you are likely to forget how to do it properyly.

	There isn't one answer that will fits the actual usage
	requirements.

	I don't roll by keys monthly.  I'll do it annually, and
	even then it will be overkill for what it is protecting,
	but I'm also unlikely to forget how to it.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org