Bind 9.4.2 not resolving one domain

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 5 01:08:30 UTC 2008

In article <g9no1k$cjm$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> wrote:

> That still sounds like a performance problem, as Kevin hinted.
>
> In this case, the qname is an alias of an alias (bad, but not
> uncommon), and all three names are in different zones.
>
> www.yahoo.com.ar.	1800	IN	CNAME	hp2.latam.g1.b.yahoo.com.
> hp2.latam.g1.b.yahoo.com. 300	IN	CNAME	us.hp2.latam.a1.b.yahoo.com.
> us.hp2.latam.a1.b.yahoo.com. 300 IN	A	98.136.43.19
>
> That's at least 9 queries if the cache is empty at the beginning, more
> if the resolver is verifying glue records.

I only count 4 queries:

www.yahoo.com.ar to ROOT returns delegation to AR servers
www.yahoo.com.ar to AR server returns delegation to ns#.yahoo.com
www.yahoo.com.ar to ns#.yahoo.com returns CNAME + delegation to
yf#.yahoo.com
hp2.latam.g1.b.yahoo.com to yf#.yahoo.com returns second CNAME and final
answer

All the delegations included glue records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA