Bind 9.4.2 not resolving one domain

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Sep 5 04:41:26 UTC 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 6:08 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <g9no1k$cjm$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> wrote:

>> That still sounds like a performance problem, as Kevin hinted.
>>
>> In this case, the qname is an alias of an alias (bad, but not
>> uncommon), and all three names are in different zones.
>>
>> www.yahoo.com.ar.	1800	IN	CNAME	hp2.latam.g1.b.yahoo.com.
>> hp2.latam.g1.b.yahoo.com. 300	IN	CNAME	us.hp2.latam.a1.b.yahoo.com.
>> us.hp2.latam.a1.b.yahoo.com. 300 IN	A	98.136.43.19
>>
>> That's at least 9 queries if the cache is empty at the beginning,
>> more
>> if the resolver is verifying glue records.
>
> I only count 4 queries:
>
> www.yahoo.com.ar to ROOT returns delegation to AR servers
> www.yahoo.com.ar to AR server returns delegation to ns#.yahoo.com
> www.yahoo.com.ar to ns#.yahoo.com returns CNAME + delegation to
> yf#.yahoo.com
> hp2.latam.g1.b.yahoo.com to yf#.yahoo.com returns second CNAME and
> final
> answer
>
> All the delegations included glue records.

Trusting all glue records that I have any right to trust, I get:

www.yahoo.com.ar to root, returns delegation and usable glue for .ar
servers
www.yahoo.com.ar to .ar, returns delegation, no glue
ns1.yahoo.com to root, returns delegation and usable glue for .com
servers
ns1.yahoo.com to .com, returns delegation and usable glue for
yahoo.com servers
www.yahoo.com.ar to yahoo.com servers, returns dangling CNAME,
delegation for g1.b.yahoo.com, and usable glue
hp2.latam.g1.b.yahoo.com to yf5.yahoo.com, returns dangling CNAME, no
glue
us.hp2.latam.a1.b.yahoo.com to ns2.yahoo.com, returns delegation and
usable glue
us.hp2.latam.a1.b.yahoo.com to yf2.yahoo.com, returns delegation and
usable glue

So that's 8 queries (I miscounted, I guess). Sure, if the resolver
hits yf{1,2} for the second alias name, that server can give both
CNAME and A records. However, only 2 of 7 of those servers are
authoritative for both subzones of yahoo.com.

The only reason the glue in the response to query 5 is usable is
because we've already been told that the yahoo.com servers are
authoritative for yahoo.com. Otherwise, we'd have to go verify those
glue records. However, it's conceivable the resolver might be a bit
more paranoid than that, or it may not recognize that this otherwise
out-of-bailiwick delegation and glue are reasonable; in that case, add
more queries.

Also, it's conceivable that a resolver may want to validate all glue
records, only trusting them long enough to get an authoritative answer
containing the same A records. In that case, add a lot more queries.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice