BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Sep 7 19:18:09 UTC 2008

Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
> Ok, if it's not doable on W2K then it's not... just very unfortunate.
> Guess there are quite a few W2K servers running BIND DNS, and upgrading
> those to W2K3 is not always easy or cheap.
>
> Jukka

It was not as simple as that. The problem was also a matter of ongoing
maintainability of the code. While the code could have been written so
that it would continue to work with Windows 2000 it was concluded that
it would be difficult to do so in a way that would provide the
reliability required. ConnectEx() is only available in Windows XP and
later and the only connect type functions available are connect() and
WSAConnect(), neither or which provided the needed functionality.

While all this doesn't help you much, you might want to consider running
Windows XP as a cheaper alternative to Windows 2003 though I do
recognize that you may be doing other things on the box and it may not
provide sufficient throughput for your purposes.

Danny