Cant get bind 9.5.0-P2 to compile under cc or gcc

Bruce Esquibel bje at e4500.ripco.com
Fri Sep 5 12:36:37 UTC 2008

Stone, Mark S. <Mark.Stone at ibx.com> wrote:

> I been trying to compile isc bind 9.5.0-P2 with gcc, cc (studio12) for 3
> days to no avail. I am frustrated because I need to get this into
> production by the end of the month. At this rate I can't even test it
> first.
> I have attached the config.log file in hopes that one of you can see
> something I missed.

> PATH: /usr/bin
> PATH: /sbin
> PATH: /usr/sbin
> PATH: /etc
> PATH: /usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin
> PATH: /usr/ccs/bin/ar
> PATH: /usr/local/sbin
> PATH: /usr/local/bin
> PATH: /opt/SUNWspro/bin

Not a slam but you might seek help from someone who knows what they are
doing with Solaris, the problem isn't with bind but with your environment.

I can't imagine what /etc and /usr/ccs/bin/ar are doing in your path but I
suspect it's the tip of the iceburg. I just tried building it on a S9 older
kernel box (Generic_118558-34) and both configure and make ran without a
hitch.

Being you said you've been trying this with both gcc and studio12, besides
the path being out of left field, I suspect there are other points of
confusion with the include directories. I'd also guess crle is not
configured correctly either.

This comment isn't helpful but bind along with sendmail are two of the few
programs I never had a problem building on the first shot under Solaris.
Their configure/Build seem to be the most intellegently built, but you have
to give them a chance with a proper enviornment and compiler installation.

-bruce
bje at ripco.com