Editing BIND files with emacs: which mode?

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Fri Sep 19 16:34:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:21:56 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer
<bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> It seems ("bind emacs" is not a good search string in a search engine
> :-) that there is no Emacs mode for either BIND configuration files or
> for zone files.
>
> For configuration files, the generic "conf-*" modes are OK, for
> instance conf-javaprop-mode is quite reasonable.
>
> But for zone files?

	The built-in Emacs search engine (C-h a) returns the
	following when I type "zone" as the search argument.

   Command: Zone out, completely.
zone-mode                     M-x zone-mode RET
   Command: A mode for editing DNS zone files.
zone-mode-update-serial       M-x zone-mode-update-serial RET
   Command: Update the serial number in a zone.
zone-mode-update-serial-hook  M-x zone-mode-update-serial-hook RET
   Command: Update the serial number in a zone if the file was modified

	I guess the first one is outside your scope.

	I've used zone-mode implicitly for years, and supposed
	"everyone knew".  Emacs just does the "right thing"; I'm not
	sure what heuristic it uses.  Perhaps naming my files like
	"ucd.ie.zone" is what triggers it.  I really like the
	automatic serial update: no extra reload because I've
	forgotten, as used to happen when I used a different editor.

	Have a good weekend.
	/Niall