Questions on Dynamic updates and Views

jing cao caojingjs at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 02:09:30 UTC 2008

I'm using BIND9.3.2 on WindowsXP, I meet 3 problems on the dynamic updates and views:

1) When I use nsupdate to update my DNS server, I can see the DNS updated and new IP can be resolved. Also I found the .tmp and .jnl exists in my zone directory. From the user manual, the .jnl file will be "dumped" to the zone file very 15 minutes. But my DNS server seems never dump that .jnl file, and the serial number never changed (I wait for several days). Is there any configure item in BIND to enable the DNS server automatically dump the .jnl file? Also, I found a lot of .tmp file exists if I use nsupdate often. Will BIND automatically remove these tmp files?

2) When I didn't use any explicit views in my DNS config file, if I updated the zone file manually and then "rndc reload", I can see the update result very soon (I set the cache for each record very small, and use "ping" to check the result).  But if I use some views in my config file, every time I updated the zone file manually and then "rndc reload", I can not see the update result. I have to go to ManagementTool->Service and restart the "IDC BIND" service (I'm using WindowsXP) to make the update work. Any idea?

3)If my IP address is listed in the internal view of the DNS server, and DNS server also has an external view. I want to use nsupdate to update the record of the external view's zone file, is it possible? If yes, any instruction on this? If not, how can I dynamically update the external view's zone file?

Thanks a lot for your patience to read my mail and look forward to your help!

BRs

Jim

http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=wlmailtaglineFrom news at motzarella.org  Thu Sep 25 02:23:51 2008