name server zone list

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 16:25:20 UTC 2009

On Apr 3 2009, R Dicaire wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Chris Thompson <cet1 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> This one is hardy perennial, of course, but I've been working on an
>> "index zone" in a certain local DNS context recently, and thinking
>> how convenient it would have been if BIND had provided one for me
>> (under class CHAOS, name "zones.bind" or something along those lines).
>> I wonder whether this is on ISC's wish-list, and if so, how far down ...
>
>The issue with something like this is it apparently requires
>configuring views in order to be able to load zone(s) of non-default
>type IN. Configuring views isn't always desired. Perhaps an option to
>rndc though....

BIND already creates an internal view "_bind" with class CH to contain
the zones version.bind, hostname.bind, authors.bind, etc. I was thinking
in terms of zones.bind living there as well.

Of course there's the barber-shaving question: should zones.bind contain
an entry describing itself?

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk