name server zone list

R Dicaire kritek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:56:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Chris Thompson <cet1 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> BIND already creates an internal view "_bind" with class CH to contain
> the zones version.bind, hostname.bind, authors.bind, etc. I was thinking
> in terms of zones.bind living there as well.

I'd forgotten about this.

> Of course there's the barber-shaving question: should zones.bind contain
> an entry describing itself?

In my opinion, no. There would need to be additional security
directives, and possibly general options directives to control access
to your proposed bind class.

I'd be more in favor of something like this be incorporated into
stats, accessible via rndc, or possible a new rndc command that dumps
just loaded zone names. ACL mechanisms already exist to control access
to rndc control port, and wouldn't require possible additional general
options or possible additional security directives to control access
to that class.

$0.02

--
aRDy Music and Rick Dicaire present: