URL Redirection via DNS

Dan Farrell dan at spore.ath.cx
Fri Apr 24 17:47:13 UTC 2009

Latif,

If you provided records / wildcard records  that matched all domains to
be rewritten, you could resolve the domain name of  _all_ rewritable
traffic the IP of a particular webserver which could then forward to
the right URL using webserver scripting and an HTTP mechanism like
Location headers or Refresh meta-tags. This would show the new
redirected URL in the header, but to do so, you yourself must respond
to the HTTP request. Since as has been said the URI of the URL (eg
"/~me/mydocs/doc34.html") won't exist on the server you would either
have to do rewriting or look into whether you could use scripting in a
401 Location not Found page.

You could also do this without bind, with a firewall, if you had one
in front of the clients whose URLs you wanted to redirect, by
redirecting all web traffic to your redirecting webserver.