A very basic question...

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Aug 10 03:37:11 UTC 2009

E Johnson wrote:
> From what I have read so far, I can see that this might be a very
> flame-worthy question, so please don't hurt me, I'm just a beginner...
>
> I have read every howto that I can find on setting up a DNS server for a
> very small, 12 seats, network.  The DNS server just needs to be
> authoritative for the internal network and then it should forward
> external requests to the outside world.  Here is the question...
>
> Most of the howtos say that I should setup a Root Zone so that I can
> access the Internet.

You are either reading or mis-reading the wrong howtos. You don't have
to do anything special to enable recursion (looking up answers on the
wider Internet). Just configure your internal zone(s) and you should
be fine.

What you probably DO want to do is restrict recursion to your local
network. The easiest way to do that would be to add the following in
the options section of named.conf:

allow-query     { localhost; localnets; };

Good luck,

Doug