forwarders question

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Aug 12 07:51:42 UTC 2009

On 11.08.09 11:13, Mark Andrews wrote:
> The forwarding concept was developed when 48k external links
> were *FAST* links and having everyone on a campus use one
> or two machine as a super cache provided some real benefit.
>
> It still provides some benefit if you are dialing up over
> the PSTN.  However if you are using Cable/DSL or similar
> technologies there is little benefit and huge negative
> consequences in the case of the forwarder being down.

We have small farm with more servers behind L3 switch, everything connected
using 2 links... so I think this way of forwarding could help us a bit
especially for domains with servers behind slow links...

> Cross connecting caches is not part of the design strategy
> and will not work well.  It would take code changes to make
> it work well.

... but it would require some tuning of forwarding code e.g. to set up
maximum timeout for a forwarding server and to allow sending of
non-recursive queries to a forwarding server.

I think it would be interesting to know if this behaviour could bring us
some benefits but apparently nobody's going to code this...
Linux is like a teepee: no Windows, no Gates and an apache inside...