View selection via TSIG

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Sat Aug 15 21:45:23 UTC 2009

I've googled a bit and been unable to find the solution that I need.

I have a master nameserver that has 4 views configured.  I have a
slave for this that is currently using 4 IPs to slave the views.  This
works fairly well, except that the slave server is unable to handle
NOTIFY from the master.  So when I do an update to a zone I have to
stop the slave, delete it's cache files, and restart it.  The slave is
able to properly load zones, since it uses the correct IPs to transfer
the zones, and it gets the right views, all is well.

I've read that BIND 9.3 can use TSIG for view selection, but all I've
ben able to find is using TSIG for one view, and no TSIG for the other
view.  What I would like to do is configure four separate TSIG keys
and do view selection based on which key is used.

Is this possible?  And where can I find documentation on it?

# named -v
BIND 9.4.3-P2

I'm also willing to other solutions, or providing a look in to my
configuration if BIND should be able to handle the NOTIFYs

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel