Invalid lan. and local. TLDs

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Aug 28 15:39:39 UTC 2009

Hello,

I noticed one of the root servers stats
( http://stats.l.root-servers.org/cgi-bin/dsc-grapher.pl?window=604800&plot=qtype_vs_invalid_tld&server=L-root ) of queried invalid TLDs, as at the moment we have no 'local.' or 'lan.' zones configured. Hence, any such queries from us go out to the Internet (sorry).

I gather that these zones are used by MS and MAC servers to some extent,
so I am wondering if it would be better to simply create an empty zone
or one with a wildcard in it? Or does it make any difference? (I have no
idea what the zones are used for.)

Whilst we have already configured zones for private (RFC 1918) zones,
and several other 'local' type forward and reverse zones, would it be
worth creating zones for 'belkin.', 'invalid.' and so on? Is that
something that others do?

I came across the above web site of stats by accident, but can't seem to
find stats from other root servers. Anyone know if there are other stats
available?

Thanks,

John.