Invalid lan. and local. TLDs

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Fri Aug 28 16:34:28 UTC 2009

One thing the root should know - as a rule is the location of localhost.
There is after all just one address associated with it 127.0.0.1. There
should be no localhost queries to the root as a rule - but misconfigured
servers result in this traffic to the root which is listed as invalid.  If
the root gave an answer instead of NXDOMAIN these queries would go away.

regards
joe baptista

On 8/28/09, John Horne <john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed one of the root servers stats
> (
> http://stats.l.root-servers.org/cgi-bin/dsc-grapher.pl?window=604800&plot=qtype_vs_invalid_tld&server=L-root) of queried invalid TLDs, as at the moment we have no 'local.' or 'lan.'
> zones configured. Hence, any such queries from us go out to the Internet
> (sorry).
>
> I gather that these zones are used by MS and MAC servers to some extent,
> so I am wondering if it would be better to simply create an empty zone
> or one with a wildcard in it? Or does it make any difference? (I have no
> idea what the zones are used for.)
>
> Whilst we have already configured zones for private (RFC 1918) zones,
> and several other 'local' type forward and reverse zones, would it be
> worth creating zones for 'belkin.', 'invalid.' and so on? Is that
> something that others do?
>
> I came across the above web site of stats by accident, but can't seem to
> find stats from other root servers. Anyone know if there are other stats
> available?
>

> Thanks,
>
> John.
>

> --

Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
  Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
     Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com