which information is cached?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Dec 7 12:28:21 UTC 2009

On 06.12.09 18:13, MontyRee wrote:
> I have one question about chached information.
> If I have example.com domain and let's assume registered like below.
>
> 1. root dns
> example.com.     3600    IN      NS  ns1.example.com.
>                  3600    IN      NS  ns2.example.com.
>
> but my ns1.example.com dns zone file set like below(assumption)
>
> 2. ns1.example.com dns
> example.com.    86400    IN      NS   ns3.example.com.
>                 86400    IN      NS   ns4.example.com.
>
> As you see TTL and NS server is diferent between them.
>
> What will be happen if the data is different each other like above?
> Is there any possibility that data2 is cached?
> (In my test, data1(root dns) seems to be cached.)

all records will be cached, but only the autoritative will be used if they
will be found in cache. It is important to keep both informations in sync
(or at least all servers have to provide correct informations) otherwise you
may find strange problems.

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".