single entry to hosted service

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Dec 7 17:43:36 UTC 2009

Dan Letkeman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to add an entry in our dns servers for a hosted service we
> purchased.  Do I just add a master zone and a single entry?  Or is
> there a better way to add a single entry to forward to a remote
> server?

Maybe I'm not understanding your requirements. If this hosted service
uses a name that's already populated in the Internet-facing DNS, why do
you need any special DNS configuration at all? Why can't you resolve
this like you resolve any other Internet name?

Assuming that you _do_ in fact need some special configuration, for some
reason, the zone types for (non-root) zones in BIND are: master, slave,
forward, and stub. Each of them has benefits and disadvantages, but I'll
defer that discussion until and unless it's determined that you need a
special DNS configuration at all...