Delegating in reverse lookup zones

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Tue Dec 15 19:37:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 01:52:50PM -0500, Simon Dodd wrote:
> I'm having a problem configuring a delegation. We have various /24s for
> which we provide PTR records. If I create a zone file for
> 188.134.63.in-addr.arpa and add PTR records, they resolve just fine. In
> other words, if this is my zone, I can resolve 63.134.188.13:

Mr. Dodd,

When you created "joink.com", you had to list the name servers in the
zone file for that zone, but you also had to register with the ".com"
domain and have them put the SAME IDENTICAL name server information in
the ".com" zone files.

If you create a new zone "east.joink.com", you would have to list the
name servers in the zone file for that zone, but you would also have to
put the SAME IDENTICAL name server information in the "joink.com" zone
files.

Reverse DNS is exactly the same as forward DNS, but with numbers.  When
you create a zone 188.134.63.in-addr.arpa, you must contact the owners
of the 134.63.in-addr.arpa zone and ask them to put the SAME IDENTICAL
name server information in the "134.63.in-addr.arpa" zone files.

I stress SAME IDENTICAL name server information because the next part is
so often overlooked.  If you ever change the name server information for
188.134.63.in-addr.arpa, or joink.com, or the hypothetical subdomain
east.joink.com, you MUST MUST MUST notify the owners of the parent zone
so that they can change the information in the parent zone files to once
again be the SAME IDENTICAL name server information as in your newly
revised zone files.

I hope that this helps!

--
**