Delegating in reverse lookup zones

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 15 19:42:37 UTC 2009

In article <mailman.1304.1260905564.14796.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> wrote:

> It's not a valid delegation unless you control the parent zone.
>
> ARIN is delegating the /24 reverse zone to you. You therefore have four
> options that give control of the PTR records to the midwestfirst.com servers.

A fifth option is to use RFC 2317-style classless delegation for all 256
entries in the reverse domain:

$GENERATE 0-255 $       IN      CNAME      $.0/24
0/24 IN NS ns1.midwestfirst.com.
0/24 IN NS ns2.midwestfirst.com.

Then have the customer change the name of their reverse zone to
0/24.188.134.63.in-addr.arpa.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA