Remove/add [A] records based upon server availability

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sun Dec 27 14:49:37 UTC 2009

On 26.12.09 12:14, Ryan S wrote:
> Is there a method in BIND to add/remove A records based upon server
> availability?

No.

> host www has A records 1.1.1.1, 2.2.2.2, 3.3.3.3  If 3.3.3.3 is 'down'
> (via a ping test, for example) we remove it from the [A] record until such
> time that it is back 'up' and the host is added back to the A records.

DNS is a really bad place to implement this. It has been discussed here many
times, try searching archives to see the explanations

> Does this exist in BIND or has anyone developed such a script?  I would
> like to do this.

This should be done at network level, L3 switches and load balancers exist
to have this functionality. Or, it could be checked at application level

Saving Private Ryan...
Private Ryan exists. Overwrite? (Y/N)