Basic DNS Server Setup

atbigelow atbigelow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 06:12:05 UTC 2009

I have ventured into the world of trying to setup my own DNS server
for a domain of mine (henceforth referred to as "mydomain.com"). I
have a small Linux server setup in my office that I do all my web
development work on and contains numerous other daemons such as
Subversion, MySQL, etc. The IP leading into my home network is
200.201.202.1 and my server's local IP is 192.168.1.100.

I purchased mydomain.com from GoDaddy and setup additional hostnames
there for ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com and set mydomain.com's
nameservers to them. So far so good.

I installed BIND9.5 on my Ubuntu (server) box. Easy.

I created an entry in /etc/bind/named.conf.local with my zone
information:

    zone "mydomain.com" {
        type master;
        allow-query { any; };
        file "/etc/bind/zones/mydomain.com";
        };

    zone "202.201.200.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/zones/mydomain.com.zone";
        };

I created the zone file for mydomain.com.

    @	IN	SOA	mydomain.com. webmaster.mydomain.com (
    			20090201        ;
                        3600    ;
                        1800    ;
                        604800  ;
                        3600 )

    @	IN	NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
    @	IN	NS	ns2.mydomain.com.

    @	IN	A	72.8.64.68
    ; name server Addresses
    ns1	IN	A	72.8.64.68
    ns2	IN	A	72.8.64.68

I created the reverse zone file.

    @	IN	SOA	mydomain.com. webmaster.mydomain.com (
    			1994082501      ;
                        3600    ;
                        1800    ;
                        604800  ;
                        3600 )  ;

    		NS	ns1.mydomain.com.
    		NS	ns2.mydomain.com.

    1	IN	PTR	mydomain.com.

I restart bind (/etc/init.d/bind9 restart) and then try to test things
out. I start up nslookup and punch in:

    server 127.0.0.1

After entering input mode for nslookup:

    mydomain.com

Says it can't find mydomain.com: REFUSED. Looking into /var/log/syslog
I find numerous SERVFAIL and REFUSED RCODEs.

I ran named-checkzone mydomain.com /etc/bind/zones/mydomain.com.zone
and it says everything is OK, as did named-checkconf.

Is there some key integral step I am missing here?