clearing local caches

Dave Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:29:53 UTC 2009

Scott Haneda wrote:
> ... However, I would like to just get DNS response times.
>
> Perhaps take the list of hosts and feed them to a iterative script
> calling dig, and fish out the response time?  This does add the
> problem of redirects of course would not be followed, so I would have
> to pre-fetch all my urls and follow them to get my testing list.

I don't see how you could call the results from any other method "DNS
response times."

If you used a web browser to measure from, you'd be introducing all
sorts of other latencies.   Delays from the web server itself.  The
webserver may have to talk to a database to output the HTML.  The
transfer of the actual HTML code isn't instantaneous. (ad that's just
off the top of my head).

--
Dave