clearing local caches

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jul 15 19:52:42 UTC 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 12:29 PM, Dave Sparro wrote:

> Scott Haneda wrote:
>> ... However, I would like to just get DNS response times.
>>
>> Perhaps take the list of hosts and feed them to a iterative script
>> calling dig, and fish out the response time?  This does add the
>> problem of redirects of course would not be followed, so I would
>> have to pre-fetch all my urls and follow them to get my testing list.
>
> I don't see how you could call the results from any other method
> "DNS response times."
>
> If you used a web browser to measure from, you'd be introducing all
> sorts of other latencies.   Delays from the web server itself.  The
> webserver may have to talk to a database to output the HTML.  The
> transfer of the actual HTML code isn't instantaneous. (ad that's
> just off the top of my head).

Correct.  So I will end up pulling down the file, extracting the
hostnames, following any redirects, and extracting the resulting
hostnames.  This gives me a nice list of hostnames that I can run
through an iterative loop in dig.

I just need to make sure that I am not getting a locally cached
result.  I suspect there is no way to force a non caches result from
the remote ended resolver?