SPF record Syntax

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Jul 17 19:03:52 UTC 2009

I found a couple of great articles that explain SPF records but
not quite far enough. I am in a syntax war with nsupdate as the
examples appear to show everything but how the actual record
looks.

	They appear to be like many other RR's so I tried

update add posse.okstate.edu. 10 IN SPF "v=spf1 ip4:209.235.101.208/29 -all"

and I get

'SPF' is not a valid type: unknown class/type

Let's take out the TTL.

As expected:

ttl 'IN': not a valid number

	We are running bind9.5.1 and I did check to make sure
that nsupdate is the right one for this version of bind. It is
as it was installed the day I installed bind95 so it should
understand SPF. Obviously, I have the wrong syntax.

I've already gotten one "Are we their yet?" today so I need to
find out what I am doing/not doing to get this SPF record
in place.

	I did put a .TXT record in as this is a suggested
procedure to handle resolvers that don't do SPF yet.

	Thanks for any help.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer