SPF record Syntax

Situ, Kevin Kevin.Situ at FMR.COM
Fri Jul 17 19:37:34 UTC 2009

The type is TXT, not SPF

Best Regards

Kevin Situ

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org
[mailto:bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org] On Behalf Of Martin McCormick
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 3:04 PM
To: bind-users at isc.org
Subject: SPF record Syntax

I found a couple of great articles that explain SPF records but
not quite far enough. I am in a syntax war with nsupdate as the
examples appear to show everything but how the actual record
looks.

	They appear to be like many other RR's so I tried

update add posse.okstate.edu. 10 IN SPF "v=spf1 ip4:209.235.101.208/29
-all"

and I get

'SPF' is not a valid type: unknown class/type

Let's take out the TTL.

As expected:

ttl 'IN': not a valid number

	We are running bind9.5.1 and I did check to make sure
that nsupdate is the right one for this version of bind. It is
as it was installed the day I installed bind95 so it should
understand SPF. Obviously, I have the wrong syntax.

I've already gotten one "Are we their yet?" today so I need to
find out what I am doing/not doing to get this SPF record
in place.

	I did put a .TXT record in as this is a suggested
procedure to handle resolvers that don't do SPF yet.

	Thanks for any help.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer