A smarter stub resolver??

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Thu Jul 23 21:31:52 UTC 2009

At Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:04:30 -0400,
"Taylor, Gord" <gord.taylor at rbc.com> wrote:

> Is there a "smarter" stub resolver that acts more like a DNS server
> using Round Trip Time (RTT) to pick the "best" DNS server from the list?
> We run well over 500 xNix boxes (and growing), so running DNS on each of
> these just isn't a viable option to get round the DNS timing issues.

In BIND 9.7, we're planning to provide an experimental "stub library"
implementation that uses the internal resolver routine of the BIND9
recursive server.  If I understand the above correctly, that's exactly
a "smarter" stub resolver you'd be looking for.  It's "experimental"
in many points, however, including:
- not all /etc/resolv.conf options are supported
- only getaddrinfo() and getnameinfo() are supported as "top-level"
  API functions.  In other words, there'll be no "smarter"
  gethostbyname() or gethostbyaddr().
- likewise, there'll be no lower-level API functions like res_xxx()
  variants.

So, depending on your purpose, this experimental implementation may or
may not help you.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.