A smarter stub resolver??

Taylor, Gord gord.taylor at rbc.com
Thu Jul 23 22:14:52 UTC 2009

Thanks for the response. I'm replying to the list as well since I haven't done that yet, and others may benefit from the same information.

Load balancing is one of the options we had already tabled, but it means doubling our entire distributed infrastructure (about 20 distinct locations), and many of them don't have load balancers. So the cost of doing anything wide-scale is extremely high, that's why we were looking for something that could be rolled out everywhere.

One suggestion I was given, and we're now looking into, is using AnyCast. Since we're already running OSPF in most areas of our internal network, we could do this without any additional hardware costs, and allows an even broader geographic failover than we offer with hardware load balancing. Assuming we can get this working with few problems it should meet the business requirements and leave us with a much more resilient DNS infrastructure.

The only draw-back I see are "intermittent" problems with clients if one DNS server in the AnyCast address pool is acting funny. This shouldn't be too hard to troubleshoot, though, since devices will have an affinity for the "closest" server on a given AnyCast address.

If anyone on list has experience with using AnyCast & DNS, I'd love to hear any of the "gotcha" moments or tips you may have...

Gord Taylor (CISSP, GCIH, GEEK)