Correction to signatures on yesterday's BIND 9 releases

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jul 30 08:51:54 UTC 2009

In message <20090730070805.GA1065 at nic.fr>, Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 04:25:18PM +0000,
>  Evan Hunt <each at isc.org> wrote
>  a message of 16 lines which said:
>
> > Due to a combination of circumstances, including extreme rush and
> > the usual signer of our releases being away at IETF, we accidentally
> > signed yesterday's BIND 9 patch releases (9.4.3-P3, 9.5.1-P3, and
> > 9.6.1-P1) with the expired 2006 ISC signing key
>
> How many people checked them? Probably not a lot since I did not saw
> reports "BIND releases corrupted!". It tells a lot about Internet
> security. And makes me seriously worry for the future when DNSSEC will
> be deployed...

	It also depended apon whether you had refreshed the keys
	on your keyring recently or not as to whether it is reported
	as expired or not.

	Most users do indirect verification by having just a hash
	which the maintainer for the package creates.  The end user
	assumes the maintainer checks the validity before creating
	the hash.

	Mark