Dynamic DNS and Slave Servers

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 19 14:24:49 UTC 2009

On Jun 19 2009, Borgia, Joe A CTR USAF AFMC AFRL/RIOS wrote:

>Should running a rndc freeze and thaw on the slave server also push the data
>from the .jnl files directly to the tables as they do on the master server?
>
>For some weird reason, running a rndc freeze and thaw on the slave runs
>successfully, but it does not push the updates to the zone tables there, and
>the .jnl files still exist after it.
>
>This is unexpected behavior.

Not really. Freezing is only meaningful for zones of type master. If you
use "rndc freeze [zonename]" and the zone is of type slave, you will get
an error message "rndc: 'freeze' failed: not found" (by which it means,
not found among the zones of type master). "rndc freeze" without a
zone name means "freeze all zones of type master", and so it is always
going to "run successfully", even if there aren't any. (I don't actually
much like syntax like this, when leaving out an argument has such a
wide-ranging effect that might not have been intended. "rndc freezeall",
say, would have been a better idea.)

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk