Zone transfer failing

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Jun 24 06:57:20 UTC 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:
> Good observation.  This is a long standing issue that I assumed was
> solved.  Named on OS X will go deaf on port 53 tcp for some reason.
> I just kicked it, and now I can tcp dig it.
>
> $dig +tcp sugardimplesdesigns.com SOA @ns1.hostwizard.com +short
> ns1.hostwizard.com. scott.hostwizard.com. 2009062206 28800 7200
> 2419200 3600
>
> I now the men and mice guys are familiar with this, if you guys are
> reading, have you ever pinned this down, or found a solution to it?

No, we have not. However, it appears to be related to the port being
idle for some time. Servers that use their TCP port more frequently,
usually due to having lots of zone updates that need to be replicated
to slaves, don't appear to be affected. You might try creating a cron
job that digs against the TCP port every 5 minutes to try to keep the
port "active" and prevent it from gong deaf.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that we've seen this on other
operating systems as well, although the lion's share of reports have
been with Mac OS X.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice