Zone transfer failing

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jun 24 08:54:32 UTC 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 11:57 PM, Chris Buxton wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:
>> Good observation.  This is a long standing issue that I assumed was
>> solved.  Named on OS X will go deaf on port 53 tcp for some
>> reason.  I just kicked it, and now I can tcp dig it.
>>
>> $dig +tcp sugardimplesdesigns.com SOA @ns1.hostwizard.com +short
>> ns1.hostwizard.com. scott.hostwizard.com. 2009062206 28800 7200
>> 2419200 3600
>>
>> I now the men and mice guys are familiar with this, if you guys are
>> reading, have you ever pinned this down, or found a solution to it?
>
> No, we have not. However, it appears to be related to the port being
> idle for some time. Servers that use their TCP port more frequently,
> usually due to having lots of zone updates that need to be
> replicated to slaves, don't appear to be affected. You might try
> creating a cron job that digs against the TCP port every 5 minutes
> to try to keep the port "active" and prevent it from gong deaf.
>
> I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that we've seen this on other
> operating systems as well, although the lion's share of reports have
> been with Mac OS X.

In your estimation, a named/BIND bug, or OS level bug?  How would one
go about finding out, and working it out, so we can solve this? I can
certainly and very easily shove a launchd job in to run every 5
minutes, and do not even consider it much of a kludge, but would like
to solve it for others, as it is a bear to track down.

Myself, knowing about it, and having hit my head against it, failed to
remember it again.