question about CNAME

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Thu Mar 12 10:50:16 UTC 2009

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:32:35PM +0800,
>  tzq tang <gelenbertang at gmail.com> wrote
>  a message of 132 lines which said:
>

>>> I think I should explain the question more clearly,
>>>

> You need first to learn about email. The "superior to" sign > is here
> to *quote* what you respond to. Do not use it for your own text or it
> will be quite difficult to read.
>

>>> email.xx  A       12.2.23.4 <http://email.xx.xxx.com/>
>>>

> :-) The format of the right-hand side will probably not be accepted by
> BIND :-)

Most likely this is also a stupid mailprogram adding links as it thinks
it should.

>>> and in another DNS server I add an CNAME record as follows:
>>> email          CNAME      email.xx.zone.com <http://email.xx.xxx.com/>.
>>> but it dosen't work.who can tell me why ?

What do you expect it to do? I get the feeling that you want to be able
to do a lookup using just "email" as the full name for the server?
If that is not the case, you need to show the whole file for the second
server as the meaning of the line is only clear when you see it in context.