Mass update of TTL and serial

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat May 2 23:25:40 UTC 2009

Scott,

On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 08:39, Scott Haneda wrote:

> I client of mine has thousands of DNS zones that will need a ttl
> chance and a serial bump.  I want to set a relevant ttl to 300 for a
> few days.
>
> After that, an IP address change will be made, and I would like to
> change the TTL back to something sane.  The general format of the zone
> looks something like below.
>
> Any suggestions

perl  substitutions would be your friend, had to do this myself a few
years back, but the key is do  fresh backup /var/named first, then
try:   perl -pi -e "s/2009....../2009050301/g;" *

Maybe again with 2008/7/6 how ever many years you think it goes back,
and don't miss out any of the periods after the year to avoid missing
exact hits.

Again for the TTL, if you have inline  hostname specific TTLs, that will
be tricky and I've never had to do them en mass so maybe someone else
has a better way

Might be good idea to copy a few zonefiles to  /tmp to play with first,
before you do the live zones, and inspect them.