Bind Statistics questions

Emery emery.rudolph at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:02:05 UTC 2009

Hello Nuno,

I don't know if you can reset the stats, but in my environment I had the
need to check statistics to alert us to attacks and high abnormally high
query numbers. In order to do this, I wrote shell scripts that check the
current count and writes that value to a file. This is a rotating
process with the each iteration writing the current value to a file and
on the next cycle comparing the new value to the written value before
writing the new value to the file. On each iteration, the new value is
subtracted from the written value to get the actual 1 minute count.

I use this process for the query and recursive query counts and if they
breach a specific level, an email is sent. We also use Sitescope
monitoring to the values to get trending information. If the stats
cannot be reset, this is an alternative that has worked for me.

Emery Rudolph
University of Maryland University College.