Bind Statistics questions

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue May 5 17:13:11 UTC 2009

At Tue, 5 May 2009 11:11:13 +0100,
Nuno Ribeiro <nribeiro82 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some doubts and I would like clarify them:
> - Bind ( version 9.5) provides lots of statistics information and provides
> two interfaces for users to get access to it (file dump and HTTP access).
> For what I see and read the counters are cumulative during the time the
> service is running. My question is if it possible to reset the counter
> statistics in real time in order to have statistic details in a time
> interval?

It's currently not possible.  We've actually discussed before, so you
might want to search the mail archive.  It would not be difficult to
implement it, but I've personally not yet seen a strong argument for
it.  Most if not all of the things that the reset feature could
provide can be achieved by post-processing cumulative data, so, for
now I'd rather keep the server side simple.

> Other question is if there is any statistic detail provide us information
> such this "average time answering to queries of type A"

The answer would be no anyway, but I'm afraid the question is also not
very clear.  Can you define "average time answering to queries of type
A" more precisely? (e.g. it's not even clear about an authoritative
server or a recursive server)

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.