System Resolver Test App?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Nov 13 01:57:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 08:04:35AM -0600,
 david at from525.com <david at from525.com> wrote
 a message of 76 lines which said:

> I was talking about the servers mentioned in the resolv.conf.

In that case, it is pefectly normal if the answer is not
authoritative. You put recursive name servers in resolv.conf, not
authoritative ones.

> I believe the issue to actually be the fault of the Netscaler as it
> seems as if it does not handle the AAAA records as it should.

That was common at a time. See RFC 4074 "Common Misbehavior Against
DNS Queries for IPv6 Addresses".

> The error message then triggers the loop of subsequent queries and
> creates the delays until the resolver issues the query for the A
> record.

That's not normal: getaddrinfo should try only the first name server
listed in resolv.conf, since it actually replies (even if it is with
SERVFAIL.