Why isn't NSLOOKUP querying for sub-zone

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Oct 14 12:36:25 UTC 2009

Here is what NSLOOKUP is doing:

# nslookup
 > set type=any
 > home.htt.
Server:         208.83.67.148
Address:        208.83.67.148#53

Non-authoritative answer:
home.htt        nameserver = home.htt.

When I ask about htt. I get:

 > htt.
Server:         208.83.67.148
Address:        208.83.67.148#53

htt
        origin = oqo3.htt-consult.com
        mail addr = rgm.htt-consult.com
        serial = 2009101305
        refresh = 7200
        retry = 1200
        expire = 1209600
        minimum = 7200
htt     nameserver = onlo.htt-consult.com.
htt     nameserver = oqo3.htt.
Name:   htt
Address: 192.168.1.35
htt     has AAAA address 2607:f4b8:3:11:stuffdeleted

note oqo3 is both oqo3.htt and oqo3.htt-consult.com.

Further this server is a slave for htt. and in /named/slaves/bak.htt I have:

$ORIGIN htt.
home                    NS      hda.home
$ORIGIN home.htt.
hda                     A       192.168.128.2

So it 'knows' who is authoratative for home.htt.  And when I grep
named/data/named.run for 'home.hda' I come up empty (just checking cache
for anything on home.htt).