Why isn't NSLOOKUP querying for sub-zone

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 14 16:33:12 UTC 2009

In article <mailman.698.1255523740.14796.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> Here is what NSLOOKUP is doing:
>
> # nslookup
>  > set type=any
>  > home.htt.
> Server:         208.83.67.148
> Address:        208.83.67.148#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> home.htt        nameserver = home.htt.
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> home.htt        nameserver = home.htt.
>
> When I ask about htt. I get:
>
>  > htt.
> Server:         208.83.67.148
> Address:        208.83.67.148#53
>
> htt
>         origin = oqo3.htt-consult.com
>         mail addr = rgm.htt-consult.com
>         serial = 2009101305
>         refresh = 7200
>         retry = 1200
>         expire = 1209600
>         minimum = 7200
> htt     nameserver = onlo.htt-consult.com.
> htt     nameserver = oqo3.htt.
> Name:   htt
> Address: 192.168.1.35
> htt     has AAAA address 2607:f4b8:3:11:stuffdeleted
>
> note oqo3 is both oqo3.htt and oqo3.htt-consult.com.
>
> Further this server is a slave for htt. and in /named/slaves/bak.htt I have:
>
> $ORIGIN htt.
> home                    NS      hda.home
> $ORIGIN home.htt.
> hda                     A       192.168.128.2
>
> So it 'knows' who is authoratative for home.htt.  And when I grep
> named/data/named.run for 'home.hda' I come up empty (just checking cache
> for anything on home.htt).

I'm not sure what your question is.  When you use type=any, you get
whatever happens to be in cache at the time.  The server will only
recurse if there's nothing cached for the name.  So if you have a
delegation record, that's what you'll see -- it won't go and fetch the
other records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA