MX and A

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Apr 10 22:33:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 21:19 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> Manao ahoana, Hello, Bonjour,
>
> In a zone (the zone == the domain, here), I want a basic thing:
> - mails for the domain goes to smtp1.mg.tambazotra.net.
> - http://the-domain.tld and http://www.the-domain.tld
>  both resolve to the IP 64.8.123.230
> I setup this:
>
>   @   IN MX 10 smtp1.mg.tambazotra.net.
>   @   IN  A 64.8.123.230
>   www IN  A 64.8.123.230
>
> With this, the HTTP constraint is OK, but the domain owner
> doesnt receive mails.

A dig on this domain (assuming  it is tamb....) shows it has no MX
record, is it still in the zone file? This explains why it never
delivers to it if so and only to the "A" record location.

Also this smtp1.mg... is not the same IP as you have shown above. so if
he gets mail sent to 64... how is he to get the mail at 41....   ? (not
impossible I know, but just bringing it to your attention incase it is
wrong)

Lastly, I've always been led to never  use 00 in an SOA timestamp,
always use minimum of 01, this might not be a technical requirement
though (Mark?), but... force of habit set in with me many years ago.

Cheers
Noel