Odd query issue

Atkins, Brian (GD/VA-NSOC) Brian.Atkins2 at va.gov
Tue Aug 3 11:50:09 UTC 2010

Kevin,

Thanks for the good ideas. Here is what I am seeing based on your
recommendations:

1. Zone has expired (to confirm: check logs)
No errors or notices regarding the zone being expired.

2. Corrupted/truncated journal file (to confirm: check logs, or, shut
down gracefully, delete journal and start up again)
I've shut down BIND, removed all files under the slave directory, and
restarted BIND - no help. Other zones that are delegated from the same
server are populated.

3. www.blah.com is a delegation in your slave copy of the zone, and the
delegated nameservers are all returning SERVFAIL, are lame, give bogus
answers, some combination of the above, etc. (to confirm: do the lookup
non-recursively, or a zone transfer of blah.com; if www.blah.com shows
as a delegation, query the delegated nameservers directly and see what
they return)
I am able to query the master directly, without issue as well as perform
a zone transfer (though I get an error, ";; communications error to
10.x.x.x#53: connection reset"). I'm assuming that this is due to the
fact that the response is greater than 512 bytes perhaps.

Brian