Question about "rndc flushname"

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Fri Feb 5 12:01:07 UTC 2010

bsfinkel at anl.gov wrote:
> On a mail machine I am running a cache-only DNS - BIND 9.6.1-P3.
> When I dump the cache I see two lines:
>
>      ; answer
>      brainpower-austria.at.  6622    MX      5 mx1.bon.at.
>
> I then enter
>
>      ./rndc flushname brainpower-austria.at
>
> But when I then look at the cache, I still see the MX record (with a
> shorter TTL).  Why is the "flushname" command not flushing this MX
> record from the cache?  Thanks.

rndc flushname for an MX record is working for me (it is even working
for this MX record).

Is perhaps your mailserver's cache-only server forwarding to another
nameserver which has this cached still and then your mailserver is
querying again in between your rndc flushname and your check of cache?

How are you checking cache?

Cathy