ISC BIND 9.7.0 syslog recorded notices

Jeremy C. Reed jreed at isc.org
Fri Feb 19 23:03:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, ic.nssip wrote:

> I just installed ISC 9.7.0 on one of our x86 SUN Solaris 10 machines.
> I did a fresh local compiled install with all default settings.
> It looks that DNS is working fine for customers (anyway the time is too short
> to conclude that), but my syslog suddenly got populated with tones of
> daemon.notice messages about all kind of "DNS format errors" from different
> other servers.
>
> Is it something wrong with my DNS server?
> Were no notices like these before when I was running BIND 9.6.1-P1.
>
> I attached a short capture from syslog.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi. This is a new feature as listed in CHANGES file:

2770.   [cleanup]       Add log messages to resolver.c to indicate events
                        causing FORMERR responses. [RT #20526]

Yes, it does seem busy for you.

Some loggings maybe could be made more clear, for example:

stats.surfaid.ihost.com/AAAA
no SOA returned

ns6.chordhurry.ru./AAAA
In SOA . is not chordhurry.ru.