What does "func" refer to in announce list archives

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Sat Feb 20 17:54:54 UTC 2010

(Removing bind-announce from distribution list)

> I want to know what does this "func" tag mean?
> Does it indicate a basic functionality enhancement that was carried out in
> the new version

Yes, it means "new functionality", and usually also implies that there's
new configuration syntax or a significantly altered API.

Historically, we've usually only put [func] changes into the newest
development branch, but not the maintenance branches--so for instance you'd
see them in 9.6.0 or 9.7.0, but not 9.6.1.  More recently we've begun
selectively allowing functional changes into point releases.

For reference, the other tags:

[bug], [cleanup], [doc] -- self-explanatory

[port] -- portability fix

[security] -- bug fix addressing a security flaw

[placeholder] -- used when a change was made in a maintenance branch but
not in the main development branch; we put a placeholder note into the
main branch so we won't accidentally reuse the change number.

[experimental] -- a change we expect to revisit (these are quite rare,
and I believe all of them have been converted to some other tag by now).

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.