What does "func" refer to in announce list archives

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Feb 20 19:40:40 UTC 2010

On Feb 20 2010, Evan Hunt wrote:

>(Removing bind-announce from distribution list)

Perhaps it should be pointed out that these lists in the announcements
reproduce sections of the CHANGES file in BIND distributions themselves.

>> I want to know what does this "func" tag mean?
>> Does it indicate a basic functionality enhancement that was carried out in
>> the new version
>
>Yes, it means "new functionality", and usually also implies that there's
>new configuration syntax or a significantly altered API.
>
>Historically, we've usually only put [func] changes into the newest
>development branch, but not the maintenance branches--so for instance you'd
>see them in 9.6.0 or 9.7.0, but not 9.6.1.  More recently we've begun
>selectively allowing functional changes into point releases.
>
>For reference, the other tags:
>
>[bug], [cleanup], [doc] -- self-explanatory
>
>[port] -- portability fix
>
>[security] -- bug fix addressing a security flaw
>
>[placeholder] -- used when a change was made in a maintenance branch but
>not in the main development branch; we put a placeholder note into the
>main branch so we won't accidentally reuse the change number.
>
>[experimental] -- a change we expect to revisit (these are quite rare,
>and I believe all of them have been converted to some other tag by now).

You can also find quite a lot of

  [contrib]  - changes to the contributed programs in the distribution

and smaller number of

  [performance]  - seems to have gone out of fashion
  [tuning]       - and been replaced by this one

  [maint]        - used for changes to the compiled-in root hints

  [protocol]     - changes to track standards changes

  [compat]       - changes to ensure backwards compatibility?

  [clarity]      - used only for change 391. Since then, everything
                   has been crystal clear ... :-)

The explanations are just my guesses, of course.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk