Windows resolver question...

Abello, Vinny Vinny_Abello at dell.com
Mon Jan 18 18:39:02 UTC 2010

Although this isn't a BIND question but rather a Windows client question,
I'll give you the quick answer anyway because this drove me nuts when I went
to Vista. Windows Vista and Windows 7 handles unqualified multi-label name
queries differently. If you have a period in any part of a hostname, Windows
Vista/7 will not append the domain suffix by default during resolution. You
can change this behavior by modifying the Local (or network) group policy
setting:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\DNS Client\Allow DNS
Suffix Appending to Unqualified Multi-Lavel Name Queries

Set that to Enabled and you should get the old behavior.

-Vinny